« Home | Small talk » | Washin' The Dog » | Question: » | Peter Jennings » | » | Sorry it's been a while since I've written anythin... » | My milkshake... » | » | My other car is 24 » | Which one of these is a sillier premise for a movi... »

I got the Rollie on my arm, and I'm pouring Chandon...


I am consistently amazed by the Neptunes.

Bewildered is maybe a better word. It's not like I think their songs are that great, it's just that they have this uncanny ability to tap into something other-worldly and create anthems and catchphrases that are embraced and repeated by millions of people while still being original.

I first noticed this with that "Drop It Like It's Hot" song. It took me repeated listens to figure out whether I loved that song or hated it. I finally decided I loved it since I was listening to it so much. But mostly I was in awe of how someone could make a hit song with no discernable melody, and only tongue clicks, slide whistles, and a tin of Jiffy Pop as accompaniment.

Now comes this "Hollaback Girl" song. Here's another song with no discernable melody. It's essentially just a big long cheer. But it has the entire nation chanting "the shit is bananas" and spelling out "bananas". How does this happen? And more importantly, why do I love spelling out "bananas"?